Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Suite Scarlett

Cover Image

Suite Scarlett

Maureen Johnson
Point
$8.99
May 2009 (Paperback)
FTC: This is a library book. I am not being compensated in any manner for my review.

Characters 15/20
Plot 15/20
Setting 15/20
Cover 15/20
Ending 15/20
Total grade: 75% C

Total rating: 12+

Summary: (Amazon)
The Hopewell Hotel, 75 years ago a stylish Upper East Side haunt, has fallen on hard times. Its proprietors, the Martin family, have let the last remaining employee go, and now it’s up to the four children, Spencer, Lola, Scarlett, and Marlene, to keep things afloat. Enter one Mrs. Amy Amberson, a flamboyant, mysterious guest, back in New York after a long absence, with some clandestine motives. Mrs. Amberson is to occupy the Empire Suite, just today entrusted to Scarlett as a “present” on her fifteenth birthday (a family tradition), for the entire summer, and keeping her happy will test Scarlett’s ingenious mettle.

My Thoughts:
The first 100 pages or so of this book were very good and then I just felt that it began to drag on and on. I loved the characters at first but I felt that slip away with each page. I love Maureen’s Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes, it’s what got me reviewing, but this kind of let me down. I am glad I read it because I like her as an author but it just lacked something necessary to the story. I recommend this to younger teens.

No comments: