Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Keep Sweet


Cover Image

Keep Sweet

Michele Dominguez Greene

Simon Pulse

$16.99

March 2010

FTC: I received this from the publisher with the understanding that I would provide an honest review for no compensation.


Characters 10/20

Plot 15/20

Setting 15/20

Cover 20/20

Ending 15/20

Total grade: 75% C


Total rating: 14+


Summary:

Alva Jane has never questioned her parents, never questioned her faith, never questioned her future. She is content with the strict rules that define her life in Pineridge, the walled community where she lives with her father, his seven wives, and her twenty-eight siblings. This is the only world Alva has ever known, and she has never thought to challenge it.

But everything changes when Alva is caught giving her long-time crush an innocent first kiss. Beaten, scorned, and now facing a forced marriage to a violent, fifty-year old man, Alva suddenly realizes how much she has to lose--and how impossible it will be to escape.


My Thoughts:

I guess I should say that this was not my kind of book. I have friends that are Mormons but not the old-time fundamentalists. Even so seeing this bothers me. That this could even be going on bugs the heck out of me. Within the first 2 pages a girl is beaten by her dad while her mom holds her down because of a kiss. Come on!


There for I would say that my rating of this book is not because it was a bad book, but because of how I felt towards certain aspects of it. The writing was nice, a bit gappy though. The word choice was superb. I recommend this to be people interested in fundamentalist Mormon stories.

No comments: