Thursday, August 21, 2008

Daria Snadowsky

Where did you get the idea for Anatomy of a Boyfriend?

Although I didn't start writing the book until way later, I got my initial idea for it during freshman year of college. I remember that most of my hallmates had high school sweethearts when we started fall semester, but by spring semester, most of those relationships had ended. I realized that although the transition from high school to college is an exciting time, it's also really scary, because often it causes you to cut precious ties with your past. Those were issues I wanted to explore in Anatomy and why I set the story during Dominique's final year of high school and her first semester of college.

As a teenager what was your favorite book? What book inspired you the most to write?

Definitely one of my favorites was Judy Blume's Forever (1975), which is the central inspiration behind Anatomy of a Boyfriend. When writing Anatomy, I tried to be as honest and informative as Forever is with regard to the issues of love and sex.


Do you have any future writing planned? If so, what?

I have ideas, but at the moment I'm concentrating on law (my other career).


What author do you aspire to be like the most?

Although I admire many authors, like Judy Blume, I don't aspire to be like anyone else. We all have our own voices and paths, so it's best to stick to that rather than follow anyone else's.


Advice for anyone who wants to be a writer?

Don't get too discouraged by rejections. Just keep writing what feels real to you, and keep putting it out there.

1 comment:

YA Book Realm said...

Ohh I love how she got the idea for Anatomy of a Boyfriend! It's so true how high school sweethearts end once they go to college. I hope to read it soon!