Saturday, August 8, 2020

The Wives by Tarryn Fisher

 The Wives by Tarryn Fisher 

 Grade: B

Rating:  Adult

 

 

 Synopsis:

 Imagine that your husband has two other wives. You’ve never met the other wives. None of you know each other, and because of this unconventional arrangement, you can see your husband only one day a week. But you love him so much you don’t care. Or at least that’s what you’ve told yourself.

But one day, while you’re doing laundry, you find a scrap of paper in his pocket—an appointment reminder for a woman named Hannah, and you just know it’s another of the wives.

You thought you were fine with your arrangement, but you can’t help yourself: you track her down, and, under false pretenses, you strike up a friendship. Hannah has no idea who you really are. Then, Hannah starts showing up to your coffee dates with telltale bruises, and you realize she’s being abused by her husband. Who, of course, is also your husband. But you’ve never known him to be violent, ever.

Who exactly is your husband, and how far would you go to find the truth? Would you risk your own life?

And who is his mysterious third wife?

 

My thoughts:

This was on odd one for me. I had a weird relationship with it. I didn't love it. I didn't like the characters. But I couldn't stop reading. I had to know what was next. 


Our main character, Thursday, was someone I wanted to like. I tried hard to find the good in her or to even feel sorry for her. But there was just something so off about her. Part of me felt guilty feeling that way, especially early in the book. As the story unfolded I definitely saw how different things that bothered me played a huge key in who she was. That's all I can say about that without giving anything away. 


This polygamy plot was intriguing to me from the start. As someone who watches shows like Sister Wives and Escaping Polygamy, I am definitely always fascinated by the lifestyle. Though it isn't something I personally would choose to do.... The aspect of these wives not knowing each other added a whole new dimension. Imagine the jealousy when you think there is another wife off being spoiled somewhere. Another wife living in your dream home. Another wife having the babies you always wanted. Add in this element where you think your husband is a different person around other wives and you have quite the story. 


As this novel unfolded it took lots of twists and turns. Generally thrillers do not surprise me. I can almost always call it by the halfway point but I still love reading them. This was not one of those stories. I was shocked by the final revelation, as well as the details that lead up to that. One thing I didn't like was how rushed the ending felt. It was like there were so many details that were tied together way too quickly in one last chapter. 


If you enjoy psychological thrillers, I would recommend giving this book a try.

No comments: