Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Something Girl

Cover Image
Something Girl
Beth Goobie
Orca Soundings
$9.95
2005
FTC: This is a library book. I am not being compensated in any way for my review.


Total grade: B

Total rating: 12+

Summary:
I couldn't swallow. I couldn't talk. When I got scared like this, a hand came up from inside and grabbed all the words out of my mouth. My dad started coming toward me and everything went into slow motion. I tried to run into the kitchen, but every step seemed to take five minutes. So I grabbed a chair and pulled it in front of me. My dad picked it up and threw it across the room. Then he grabbed my arm. "Stupid," he hissed. "No good. Nothing." Sophie is in a lot of trouble. She is on probation for stealing and is doing poorly at school. Her mom doesn't really talk to her, and the other adults in her life are pressuring Sophie to talk about her bruises. Sophie worries that if she tells, she will be sent to live in a group home. Her friend Jujube is the only person who knows the truth, and now Jujube, too, wants Sophie to speak up.

My Thoughts:
This book was incredibly sad but also incredibly moving. Child abuse books are usually to devastating for younger readers but this kept enough out that I would insist they read it. It was very short and super easy. There was no filler garbage but in my opinion it could have been a little longer.

I think this is an important issue and should receive more focus in schools. I would highly recommend this book to educators and younger teens.

No comments: