Thursday, January 6, 2011

Charmed

Cover Image
Charmed
Carrie Mac
Orca
$9.95
2004
FTC: This is a library book. I was not compensated in any manner for my review.

Characters 15/20
Plot 15/20
Setting 15/20
Cover 20/20
Ending 15/20
Total grade: 80% B


Total rating: 16+

Summary:
Dillon wakes me up. I fell asleep in the boots and leather mini-skirt and nothing else. He's brought a friend home. The friend is grinning down at me. I yank the sleeping bag over me. His name is Barrel, and he's big and round like one. "She'll do," he says. Then he leaves. "Do what?" My head is pounding. "Nothing. Don't worry about it." Dillon heads for the shower. "Go back to sleep." So I do. Izzy's mother works far away and leaves Izzy at home, alone with Rob the Slob. Angry at her mother and trying to deal with school, friends and the attentions of charismatic Cody Dillon, Izzy finds her life swirling out of control. Coerced into putting out to help Cody, Izzy finds she is one in a long line of girls ensnared in prostitution, with no way to escape. Believing that her mother will come for her, Izzy manages to fight back and, when the chance appears, make a run for it.

My Thoughts:
This was another Orca book. I really should stop reading them because as an avid reader I am never fully satisfied. They are great for the reluctant readers (or usually younger teens although not in this case). If you love reading this is not where you want to focus your time. The plot could be so much more developed, the concept so much deeper. It's also very hard to develop a relationship with the characters because the book is so short. I recommend this as an alternative in high school. I believe all educators should be familiar with this publisher.

No comments: