Friday, January 7, 2011

Hunger Games

Cover Image

The Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins
Scholastic
$8.99
2008
FTC: This is my book. I am not being compensated for my review.

Characters 20/20
Plot 20/20
Setting 20/20
Cover 20/20
Ending 20/20
Total grade: 100% A

Sexual content: mild
Violence: extreme
Drugs: none
Underage drinking: none
Swearing: moderate
Total rating: 14+

Summary:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival.

My Thoughts:
I do not think I can swoon enough for this book. This was always a series that when people described it I poo-pooed the idea of reading it. Fantasy? The Future? "How about garbage," I would say. It was far from that. I read this as a class for my English Lit class (and yes this is my senior year). The majority of my class hates reading. I loved seeing all of their faces light up as they read. 2 kids said they had never read a whole book before. Both went and bought the whole series.

We were given 3 weeks in class to read it. I went out and bought my own copy because I was dying to read more. There is so much of this book that I feel is unfairly hidden. The romance is so huge yet people seem to focus on the future. In my honest opinion it seems more historical than futuristic.

I recommend everyone read this book. You all know my typical book is girly, pink and flirty. This is not that but I am in love.

1 comment:

Lenore Appelhans said...

I love the response The Hunger Games gets. I've recommended it to/bought it for countless people now and they all love it!