Saturday, May 8, 2010

Author Interview

Today Piper Banks is here for a chat! She wrote Geek High, Geek Abroad and Summer of the Geek. Read what she has to say.

1. When you started writing Geek High did you already know you wanted it to be a series or did it just turn out that way?

I definitely envisioned Miranda’s story as a series from the beginning. I’ve loved her from the minute she took root in my imagination, and I really wanted to see how she grew as character.


2. Miranda is what you call a geek. Were you a geek in high school or popular?

I was somewhere in-between. I was a good student, but I don’t think I ever fully got my geek on.


3. In 10 words or less tell my readers what your series is about:
A girl genius who attends a school for gifted teens.


4. When it comes to math are you a "human-calculator" or is that living through Miranda?
No, I am definitely not a human calculator! I can barely balance my checkbook.


5. In book two Miranda heads off to London. Where is the coolest place you have traveled and why was it so awesome?
Definitely London. I lived there for a semester when I was in college, and have travelled back several times since. It’s my favorite place in the world! I love the mixture of history and modern culture.


6. Everyone's nightmare is their parents forgetting their sweet 16, which happens in your book! Did your parents ever forget something important of yours?
They definitely remembered all of my birthdays. I can’t remember them missing anything too important – so if they did, it didn’t leave any scars!


7. What do you think of summer "flings"?
I am whole-heartedly in favor of them. You’re only young once!


8. Any advice for those who want to write?

My best advice would be to read, and read across different genres. It’s the best way to get a feel for language. I was a reader long before I was a writer.

No comments: