Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Blogger Interview

Today I am chatting with Sadako from dibblyfresh1.blogspot.com. Email me at princessashley9@gmail.com for an interview

When and why did you start blogging?
I started blogging after reading Tiff's BSC blog and Troy Steele's Goosebumps blog, and also after reading a lot of Television Without Pity recaps, because I wanted to do something that funny that would make people laugh.

Who is your favorite author and why?
If I had to limit myself to one, Daphne DuMaurier (who wrote Rebecca, and a lot of other books), because she has a really great way of making you feel part of the world you're reading and because she really wraps you up in suspense. Hers are the kind of book that when you're reading them, you can't think about anything else, and that's something that I think every writer wants to hear.

What bloggers inspire you?
Troy Steele who writes the Goosebumps Blogger Beware blog because he's so funny. Fear Street's blog because those are always really hilarious as well. Nikki's Are You There Youth? It's Me Nikki because she takes me back to all the books I read as a child and still love. I also really enjoy Psyched on the Prairie and Not That Kind of Girl.

What has been your favorite school assigned book? Why?
Usually I don't like books assigned in school but I was assigned the book Wuthering Heights freshman year of college and ended up reading it early before we got around to it. I loved the mystery of it and the disturbing atmosphere--I'm really into creepy/horror and suspense.

What is your goal with your blog?
Primarily, I want to entertain people and make them laugh. I also like when people are happy that I reminded them of some book they read years as a child and now remember it. Nostalgia is awesome.

As a child what book did you love?
I loved Harriet the Spy and the Long Secret by Louise Fitzhugh, and read those over and over again. They were one of the few books that felt really authentic to me because often YA/kids authors sugar coat things or think that making something accessible for kids means toning it down. Louise Fitzhugh wasn't afraid to tell kids the truth and she could do it while being entertaining

Anything unique about you or your blog?
My blog is unique because I don't think I have any real limitations. I snark YA literature (with a LOT of Babysitters Club recaps), but also pop culture in general, and I think my humorous slant is different from a lot of the other blogs out there. Plus, while a lot of other blogs have covered the Babysitters Club and even Caroline B. Cooney just as I have, so far I haven't seen any others that have recapped Go Ask Alice.

Where should a line be drawn between YA and Adult books?
I think that the things that appeal to young adults and adult-adults are different, and a good YA author can pinpoint that sometimes things that seem trivial (dating, etc.) to adults are really big deals. At the same time, I don't think that the line needs to be too precise beause a really good book appeals to almost everyone, in my opinion. I started reading Stephen King as a young adult, and those books felt more real to me as a teen than they do now. And sometimes I'll read a book as a kid and not realize until I'm older just how good it is (Harriet the Spy, A Wrinkle in Time, The Giver).

No comments: