Sunday, December 13, 2009

Just One Wish

Cover Image
Title: Just One Wish
Author: Janette Rallison
Publisher: Putnam
Price: $15.99 USD
Release: March 2009
FTC: I received this book from the publisher with the understanding that I would provide an honest review with no compensation.

Characters 20/20
Plot 20/20
Setting 18/20
Cover 20/20
Ending 15/20
Total grade: 93% A

Sexual content: 0/20
Violence: 0/20
Drugs: 0/20
Underage drinking: 0/20
Swearing: 2/20
Total rating: 10+ in cleanness but 13+ in connections
Summary: (Amazon)
This screwball comedy-cum-heartfelt drama is by turns far-fetched, enjoyable, and touching. Seventeen-year-old Annika's little brother, Jeremy, is about to undergo surgery for cancer. The teen promises him that she has a genie that will bring his favorite TV character, Teen Robin Hood, to meet him. In what seems like too much of a sitcom plot, Annika drives several hours, invades the show's set, and persuades its star to come home with her. He's on a tight schedule. Paparazzi attack them. His car breaks down. Steve and Annika fall in love, adding a sweet, but uncertain, romance to the mix. She also learns that he has a family situation of his own to resolve. Questions about the meaning of life and whether there is a caring God give the book heft but don't always jibe with its lighter aspects.

My Thoughts:
I thoroughly enjoyed this lovely novel. It was funny yet had some real tough issues. It handled terminal illness in a tactful and honest manner. It’s a hard issue to tackle, let alone honestly but Janette did just that!

I was totally in love with Steve and wanted him as my boyfriend bad. He was so well laid out within the pages that he seemed real. Annika was also very well developed. Jeremy was adorable and I just wanted to hold him.

As for the ending I hated it. Yes it was fully ended but I was bawling upon closing the book so that’s why I hated it. Don’t get me wrong, it was a fantastic ending, just not what I had been rooting for. A real tear jerker there.

No comments: