Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Double Life

My Double Life
Janette Rallison
Putnam
$16.99
May 13th 2010
FTC: I received this from the publisher with the understanding that I would provide an honest review for no compensation.

Characters 15/20
Plot 15/20
Setting 15/20
Cover 20/20
Ending 20/20
Total grade: 85% B

Sexual content: mild
Violence: n/a
Drugs: mild
Underage drinking: mild
Swearing: moderate
Total rating: 13+

Summary:
Her whole life, Alexia Garcia has been told that she looks just like pop star Kari Kingsley, and one day when Alexia’s photo filters through the Internet, she’s offered a job to be Kari’s double. This would seem like the opportunity of a lifetime, but Alexia’s mother has always warned her against celebrities.

Rebelliously, Alexia flies off to L.A. and gets immersed in a celebrity life. Not only does she have to get used to getting anything she wants, she romances the hottest lead singer on the charts, and finds out that her own father is a singing legend. Through it all, Alexia must stay true to herself, which is hard to do when you are pretending to be somebody else!

My Thoughts:
I had high expectations for this book and for the most part they got close. I think that because I am an avid reader of this type of YA book I know what is good, okay, and bad. If you are a fan of this type of book this can be classified between good and okay. This is however not the place to start “trying” girly books if that not your normal type.

The characters were extremely typical to this sort of story. One smart girl, one stupid celeb, add together and you get your LA story. Both girls were missing something, both found it. In that way you get the common plot. The LA setting is becoming too typical for books. Can’t we write one set in Boring, Oregon or Omaha or something authors?

I would recommend chicklit fans check this out.

Playlist:
1. Who Knows (Natasha Bedingfield)
2. Vanity (Lady Gaga)
3. I Made It (Kevin Rudolf)
4. Stronger (Britney Spears)
5. Hate That I love You (Rihanna)

No comments: