Thursday, August 26, 2010

Not My Daughter

Not My Daughter
Barbara Delinsky
Knoph Doubleday
$17.96 (Barnes and Noble)
January 2010
FTC: This is a library book. I am not being compensated in any manner for my review.

Characters 20/20
Plot 20/20
Setting 20/20
Cover 20/20
Ending 20/20
Total grade: 100% A

Sexual content: mild
Violence: n/a
Drugs: n/a
Underage drinking: n/a
Swearing: moderate
Total rating: 16+ Even though it is fairly clean it targets adults

Summary:
When Susan Tate's seventeen-year-old daughter, Lily, announces she is pregnant, Susan is stunned. A single mother, she has struggled to do everything right. She sees the pregnancy as an unimaginable tragedy for both Lily and herself.

Then comes word of two more pregnancies among high school juniors who happen to be Lily's best friends-and the town turns to talk of a pact. As fingers start pointing, the most ardent criticism is directed at Susan. As principal of the high school, she has always been held up as a role model of hard work and core values. Now her detractors accuse her of being a lax mother, perhaps not worthy of the job of shepherding impressionable students.

My Thoughts:
This was a really great book! I enjoyed all the characters. They each lived such different lives and handled the pregnancies in different ways. I loved seeing all of the different mother-daughter relationships and what the pregnancies did for them. The plot left no holes and kept the reader engaged. That made the book even more enjoyable. The setting was not common which I enjoy in a book. It makes everything seem more real.

The cover was gorgeous and made you want to dive in. As for the end, it was perfect! You couldn't have asked for a better ending. I recommend most teen girls and mothers get this book! I think it was amazing.

2 comments:

Laina said...

That sounds good!! :) Great review, Ash.

Tiffany the StorySnoop said...

I also enjoyed this book and my teenage daughter read it as well. Lots to discuss! I will say that I did talk to her about the fact that not all pregnant teens have quite so much parental support and that the teen girls in this story had it pretty easy as teenage parents. Definitely an interesting premise and a quick and engaging read.