Sunday, August 22, 2010

Project 17

Cover Image
Project 17
Laurie Faria Stolarz
Hyperion
$8.09 (on barnes and noble)
2007
FTC: This is a library book. I am not being compensated in any manner for my review.

Characters 10/20
Plot 10/20
Setting 20/20
Cover 15/20
Ending 15/20
Total grade: 70% C

Total rating: 15+

Summary:
High atop Hathorne Hill, near Boston, sits Danvers State Hospital. Built in 1878 and closed in 1992, this abandoned mental institution is rumored to be the birthplace of the lobotomy. On the eve of the hospital’s demolition, six teens break in to spend the night and film a movie about their experiences. For Derik, it’s an opportunity to win a filmmaking contest and save himself from a future of flipping burgers at his parents’ diner. For the others, it’s a chance to be on TV, or a night with no parents. But what starts as a dare quickly escalates into a nightmare. Behind the crumbling walls, down every dark passageway, and in each deserted room, they will unravel the mysteries of those who once lived there and the spirits who still might.

My Thoughts:
Be forewarned this review contains some vivid language…

To be honest I was pretty disappointed with this book. It took forever to even begin to interest me, and even once it did I still had pages after pages that were rather dull. I feel that this topic could have kicked some serious A-double star, but instead it barely fizzled.

The characters were annoying. They all made me want to rip my hair out, I only remember brief moments where I felt sorry for them but then they would be a**holes again and I would begin to hate them AGAIN. The plot left me wanting more details and a lot less set-up. It took way too long for the important part of the story to begin.

The setting was awesome, come on, a creepy old mental hospital is just great! That was probably the best part of the book along with when the author describes the scenery inside the hospital. The cover was okay. It could have been better but it wasn’t horrible. As for the end, well it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting.

Overall, I would say if you can get past a lot of set-up to the story you may enjoy this book.

No comments: