Friday, November 14, 2008

Story of a Girl

"We all have stuff we wish we could change.
Right?"

Title: Story of a girl
Author: Sara Zarr
Age: 14+
Rating: 3.5 of 5

From the book:
I was thirteen when my dad caught me with Tommy Webber in the back of Tommy's Buick, parked next to the old Chart House down in Montara at eleven o'clock on a Tuesday night. Tommy was seventeen and the supposed friend of my brother, Darren.
I didn't love him.
I'm not sure I even liked him.
In a moment, Deanna Lambert's teenage life has changed forever. Struggling to overcome the lasting repercussions and the stifling role of "school slut," Deanna longs to escape a life defined by her past.

My thoughts:
Although parts of this novel were really good the language took away from it. There were to many F-bombs for it to be an incredible book. I did however like the heavy aspect of change through out the book. Changing who you are and who your family is. I thought it was a nice change from the common "teen slut" thing we see through out so many novels these days. The fact that she wasn't one and refused to let that define her meant a lot.

overall grade:
overall rating:
On the verge of being rated R for all the F words.

No comments: