Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Runaway

Cover Image
Title: Runaway
Editor: Wendelin Van Draanen
Publisher: Random House
Price: $15.95 USD HB
Release: 2006

Grade: C
Age: 13+

Summary: (Amazon)
From May until November, Holly writes in her journal, by turns fierce, angry, scared, heartbroken, defiant. Her teacher gave Holly the journal in the hopes of allowing her to work through her mother's overdose and stays in a succession of foster homes. But Holly has more immediate issues--hunger and shelter and not being cold. Running away again from an abusive foster family, she makes her way by stealth and cunning to Los Angeles. She writes poetry in her journal, too--vivid and wired poems that it seems a smart 12-year-old actually could write. She refuses to see herself as homeless, but as a gypsy, making a home where she can--libraries and schools are among her favorite places to hide. As her situation gets increasingly desperate, readers long for Holly to find a bath and a hot meal and someone to care for her. The ending of this taut, powerful story seems possible and deeply hopeful.

My Thoughts: I liked the start of this book a lot. As it went on though it got a little to weird. 12 year olds aren’t supposed to be streetwise. It kinda annoyed me with how mature this 12 year old thought she was. Also the step parents pissed me off. The book was well written but just made me mad. I cant like a book that makes me mad. I’m sure if I could then I would have liked this story.

Recommendation: Fans of books about young kids who come off as older, due to being streetwise.

Listening to: I’d Lie (Taylor Swift)

No comments: