Saturday, February 13, 2010

Girl on the Other Side

Barnes and Noble had no picture...

Girl on the Other Side
Deborah Kerbel
Dundurn
$12.99
October 2009
FTC: I received this from the author with the understanding that I would provide an honest review for no compensation.

Characters 20/20
Plot 15/20
Setting 15/20
Cover 18/20
Ending 20/20
Total grade: 88% B


Sexual content: 0/20
Violence: 0/20
Drugs: 0/20
Underage drinking: 0/20
Swearing: 5/20
Total rating: 11+


Summary: (Amazon)
Tabby Freeman and Lora Froggett go to the same school, but they live in totally opposite worlds. Tabby is rich, pretty, and the most popular girl in her class. But behind closed doors, her 'perfect' life is rapidly coming apart at the seams.
On the other side, Lora is smart, timid, and the constant target of bullies. While struggling to survive the piranha-infested halls of her school, she becomes increasingly nervous that somebody might discover the unbearable truth about what's been happening to her family.
Despite their differences, Tabby and Lora have something in common - they're both harbouring dark secrets and a lot of pain. Although they've never been friends, a series of strange events causes their lives to crash together in ways neither could have ever imagined. And when the dust finally settles and all their secrets are forced out into the light, will the girls be saved or destroyed?

My Thoughts:
This book was different than I expected. I felt that the back cover was a bit deceiving. I expected the bathroom exchange to be a bit longer than it was. The cover makes it seem like it’s a big deal but really its brief.

The characters were well developed and fully thought out. I loved how both girls were so incredibly different than the other.

I would recommend it to most females. It was an inspirational read.

Quotes:
Here is a random quote I found by opening to a random page:

Under suspicion? WTF!

2 comments:

Morgan said...

It sounds like a book that will make you think-and I was looking for one of those. Great review!

anotherpageisused said...

I really liked reading this book!

But I thought that it was a little too short.

But, you wrote a good review.

-Lexi (: