Friday, July 23, 2010

Alpha Bet

Alpha Bet

Stephanie Hale

Flux

$9.95

April 1st, 2010

FTC: This is a library book. I am not being compensated in any manner for my review.


Characters 20/20

Plot 20/20

Setting 20/20

Cover 20/20

Ending 15/20

Total grade: 95% A


Sexual content: moderate

Violence: n/a

Drugs: mild

Underage drinking: moderate

Swearing: moderate

Total rating: 14+


Summary:

Some teenagers use drugs or sex to escape overbearing parents. I used books.

All my life my mother has been hovering over me, afraid to let me experience ANYTHING. So I got really good grades, graduated from high school when I was sixteen, and escaped to a new life—my own life—at college.

To jump-start my social life, I decided to rush the Alphas, the most exclusive sorority on campus. Things started to get complicated when I told one little white lie. (Okay, maybe not so little.) Then one of the sisters invoked the Alpha Bet, a super-secret set of alphabetical tasks we pledges have to complete to prove our loyalty. Now, the Alpha Bet has taken over my life.

Can you spell B-E-T-R-A-Y-A-L?


My Thoughts:

This was one I wasn’t sure I would buy so I checked it out from the library. I will tell you right now, I will be purchasing this for my personal collection. The story was super fun and pretty fresh. I have always has an interest in the Greek system so reading a fictional tale about it was fun.


Grace was a unique heroine. You could tell from the start that all her crap was going to blow up in her face but you just had to love her. She is 16 and braving the world of college. That in itself is an accomplishment. Being brave enough to make some of the choices she does after the fact that she had the childhood she had was amazing. I really had an appreciation for who she was.


The ending became pretty predictable but I wouldn’t have chosen a different one. I recommend this book to fans of chick-lit. You will receive an awesome book with a heroine that is irresistible.


Playlist:

1. Spinning Around (Jump 5)

2. Jump Then Fall (Taylor Swift)

3. Seventeen Forever (Metro Station)

4. The Little Things (Colbie Calliet)

5. In My Head (Jason DeRulo)

2 comments:

Silvia said...

Nice review^^

This is the kind of book I'm never sure about so I end up not buying it, but it seems funny plus I love the societys and things like that.

I can't imagine myself going to university at the age of 16 (here in Spain is imposible), I'm now 18 and afraid that when I go to college this year I won't make friends so... XD

stephhale said...

I'm so glad you liked The Alpha Bet. Your review made my day!