Monday, October 26, 2009

Interview with a blogger, or 3

Today the women of http://stackedbooks.blogspot.com/ are here to chat. See what they all said. Want to be interviewed? Comment with your email please.

Kelly
1. When and why did you start blogging?
I have been blogging since Livejournal started, actually. Yep, I'm that "old." But most of what I blogged was personal stuff. I started this blog with Jen and Kim in late April.

Why? Well, we thought it would be a fun experiment to blog as three different voices, backgrounds, and experiences. We had all finished library school and were starting jobs, so it was a good way to sort of share our thoughts and ideas with a wider audience.

2. What is your favorite book?
For our first intro posts on the blog, we shared our favorites. My post is: http://stackedbooks.blogspot.com/2009/04/what-i-dig.html.

3. What book should have never been made to a movie but has been?
I'm going to be honest and say I'm worried about "The Hunger Games" and "If I Stay" becoming films. They're cerebral and it's going to be hard to make them as powerful on screen as they are on paper.

4. Where should a line be drawn between YA and Adult books?
I don't believe there has to be. I recently wrote about David Small's book "Stitches" which has gotten a lot of talk about this particular issue. I think we do it for convenience, the line drawing. In a library, we do want to make sure we have the line so it's easy to direct people one place or another. But generally, I think it's up to the reader to decide what they want to read with the guidance of those who know the literature and their knowledge of interests, ability, etc.

5. What book is your favorite that is currently banned?
I'm not sure there are any really "banned" books anymore. I think there are many books challenged, but fortunately, we live in a country where we can read anything we want whenever we want. Even if a particular place challenges or removes a title from the shelf, you can still get it pretty readily. I'll be honest in saying that while I'd read a couple of Ellen Hopkins's titles before the challenges in Oklahoma, after hearing her talk about it passionately at the Anderson's YA Literature conference, I picked up and am working through 3 more of her books. Not sure they're favorites but they're definitely important reads.

6. Have you met any authors? Who?

Tons! It all began with Ann M. Martin -- you know, of Babysitter's Club fame. I met her when I was in second grade. I got to leave school early for it and everything. More recently, I met Ellen Hopkins, Claire Zulkey, Libba Bray, and ate lunch with Michelle Zink. I met Bill Clinton when he released his most recent title. Oh, and my favorite? Mark Doty. I not only got to meet him, but I got to eat lunch with him and interview him briefly. That is one funny and inspiring writer.

7. Do you want to attend BEA this year? Do you think you will?
Kim and I are planning on it.

8. What is unique to your writing style?
I believe that even if I hate a book -- something I'm not afraid to share if I do! -- someone will like it. Every book has a reader, and I think that my style and the style of my collaborators reflects our knowledge and understanding of that. We try to get to the heart of who would dig the book. We don't do ratings because that defeats the idea. Rather, we reflect on what made it a successful or unsuccessful book for us personally, then we like to think further about who it works for. This is so evident in our round robin reviews for "Genesis" by Bernard Beckett and "Evolution of Calpurnia Tate" by Jacqueline Kelly. Three minds, three opinions, but three ways to "sell" the book to the right readers.


Kim:
1. When and why did you start blogging?
Kelly floated the idea for a collaborative blog, and I jumped on it. Since I left school (I was an English major), I’ve missed talking and writing about books with people on a daily basis. This has been a great solution. We started blogging in April of this year.

2. What is your favorite book?
I can’t pick one, but I can pick a series – His Dark Materials trilogy, by Philip Pullman. These books are beautifully written, tell an exciting and unique story, and communicate such a valuable and important message for readers of all ages. They hold very strong personal meaning for me. Incidentally, the first posts on our blog are about our favorite books (we could only narrow it down to three each)!

3. What book should have never been made to a movie but has been?
That is a tough one. I can’t think of one right off the bat, but a bad book is probably going to make a bad movie too. Ella Enchanted is a wonderful book that could have been turned into a wonderful movie, but it wasn’t. Too bad.

4. Where should a line be drawn between YA and Adult books?
I don’t think a whole lot of people will agree with me, but I don’t really think there should be much of a line. If a book appeals to young adults, it’s young adult. I grew up reading whatever I liked, and it included books with tons of swearing, graphic sex and violence, and very “adult” themes. It didn’t adversely affect me – it challenged me and helped me grow. It contributed to me having a mind of my own. I think adults who are so worried about kids reading “up” or about the graphic nature of some YA books need to relax. Some books are going to be too difficult for teens to read, but many teens read at an adult level, so who’s to say what is YA and what isn’t?

5. What book is your favorite that is currently banned?
Pullman’s books are constantly being challenged. It’s increased his book sales.

6. Have you met any authors? Who?
I have, but I doubt they would remember me! I’ve met quite a few at the Texas Book Festival, including Joan Lowery Nixon, TA Barron, and Shannon Hale. Ms. Hale was so wonderful in person, it made me love her books even more. She told me that I looked familiar, and therefore we must have known each other in a past life. Clearly, she is the most awesome author I’ve ever spoken to for two minutes straight, even if she does say that to everyone who asks her to sign a book.

7. Do you want to attend BEA this year? Do you think you will?

I always want to, but I never do.

8. What is unique to your writing style?
I don’t know if my blogging style is particularly unique. I try to keep it pretty conversational, because that’s what I like in blogs I read. Sometimes I try to inject some humor, but I don’t know if that always works! (I’m also an aspiring novelist – who isn’t? – and my narrative writing style is, of course, absolutely stunningly amazing. So amazing that I don’t allow it to be seen by others, it would knock them out.)


Jen:
1. I started blogging in November of 2001. I was a freshman in college, and all of my friends were bandying around this strange word "blog." Always attracted to the latest technology trends, I read a few blogs of my friends regularly. After a couple of months, I decided to start my first - a personal site that I kept updating until 2007. I've added entries to many other blogs over time - some for classes and others for smaller personal projects. Stacked would be my first professional collaborative website where I've been able to contribute on a regular basis.

2. Most frequently used book would be the more appropriate description - my copy of the Barefoot Contessa Parties! is splotched with stains, battered, and well-loved. This is the book that I've reached for the most out of any of my collection. I think that qualifies it as my favorite.

3. I don't believe there is a book that can't be made into a movie. There are terrible film adaptations, definitely. But is there a book that is inherently unfilmable? I can't think of one.

4. Why draw lines?
Adults reach for YA books just as often as young adults reach for adult fiction. I suppose the only reason to have any differentiation would deal with physical placement in a space. I'm more of a believer in gray areas and cross-promotion. The same goes for the distinctions between children's/tween/teen books.

5. I don't know about currently banned. But as for books that have been frequently challenged? I'm partial to Atticus and Scout Finch of To Kill a Mockingbird.

6. I have, but not very many. I prefer to read the work of authors rather than hear them speak. Most memorable was Geraldine Brooks; I was so impressed that I went out and read every single one of her historical fiction novels.

7. I will not be attending BEA this year, even though I would be interested. My system gives very little time or incentive for attending professional conferences, so it would all be on my own dime.

8. Very little is unique about my writing style! I never claimed to be a writer - I'm an enthusiastic reader who attempts to communicate at a basic level. Hopefully people can connect.

No comments: