Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Jane in Bloom

Cover Image

Title: Jane in Bloom
Author: Deborah Lytton
Publisher: Dutton
Price: $16.99 USD HB
Release: March 19th 2009

Grade: A+
Rating: 12+


Summary: Amazon.com
On Jane's 12th birthday, her older sister is hospitalized, and Jane is swept into a series of painful events that swirl around beautiful, smart, and popular Lizzie, ensnaring the entire family. Her problem manifests itself as an eating disorder but ends with her death, possibly a suicide. Jane's narration reveals how she and her parents handle Lizzie's death, with each of them coming to grips with her actions first individually and with anger, and then together. Jane begins to rebuild her life when she's cared for by an understanding woman when her mother, unable to cope, leaves to visit her parents and her father has a business trip. She gets a puppy, learns to focus through a camera lens, and befriends a boy who has also suffered loss.

My thoughts:
As some of you may know I have a 12 year old sister and am about to turn 16, so there is one way this story hit me close to home. There was also a time rather recently when we became concerned because my sister stopped eating. She went on a trip to stay with my aunt, where she didn’t eat for 2 days straight. Another way that it hit home.

I love the way Deborah attacked this issue. Its very important that people see the way death and eating disorders effect the siblings left behind as well. When she stopped eating everyone flocked to help her yet nobody thought to see how I was. I was hidden inside wishing I had done something. I am the blonde, 5’3”, 105 pound sister. She’s the redheaded, 5’2” and more pounds. I was constantly talking about my body and wishing I had bigger this or that which I’m sure contributed to her wishing she was smaller. It cant be fun to be the 12 year old who wears a size 3 when your 15 year old sister is a 0. But anyways once she stopped eating I felt like I should have done something as does Jane. I felt so connected to Jane even with her as the younger sister.

The relationship between the sisters made me weep. I wish my sister and I had that. Deborah actually has inspired me to work harder for that. She made me realize that I wouldn’t be okay without my sister even though we have our fights.

I think every sister needs to read this book. If the sister is 12 or the sister is 62 they should read it. Buy it. NOW

FTC: I received this novel from the publisher before December 1st 2009.

No comments: