Thursday, November 26, 2009

Secrets of Truth and Beauty

Cover Image

Title: Secrets of Truth and Beauty
Author: Megan Frazer
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Price: $15.99 USD
Release: July 2009
FTC: I received this book from the publisher before December 2009. I am not being paid to review this novel.

Grade: A
Rating: 13+

Summary: Amazon
At the age of seven, Dara Cohen was so adorable and so talented that she won the title of Little Miss Maine. Now 17, she has definitely become plus-sized. When her English teacher assigns a multimedia autobiography project, Dara decides to use some of her old pageant footage to create a project called (Re)Think Thin and make a statement about how our society views overweight people. Her parents are so angry and humiliated that they pull her out of school and insist that she go into therapy, straining what is already a difficult relationship. Dara decides to contact her sister, whom she has never met and who has been estranged from their parents for years. She spends the summer with Rachel at Jezebel Goat Farm in rural Massachusetts, a collective farm that also serves as a haven for lesbian women and others who are not accepted by their families. As the summer progresses, Dara learns more about herself, her sister, and her family history, and proves that she is indeed talented and beautiful.

My Thoughts:
Before reading this book I had super high expectations. It was just one of “those” books. The kind where you expect so much from them even without knowing a whole lot. After reading it I can say it was a great book but the start was lacking. There was not very much going on there… It was just way to slow. Towards the end everything started happening and it was packed. That’s how I wanted the whole book to be.

The relationships in this novel were amazing! I loved the sister relationship and the Dara/Milo aspect. I felt a real connection to these relationships. I could see each of these as a part of my relationships.

I think everyone should go buy a copy now! Learn to love and respect yourselves girls!!

Random Quote:
*Opening to Random Page* Page is 181. *Touching random spot*

“I need to show you something,” he said.

A Second opinion:
Lexi gave this book 3/5 stars. See her full review http://anotherpageisused.blogspot.com/2009/08/secrets-of-truth-and-beauty-by-megan.html

1 comment:

in which a girl reads said...

Nice review!

And you've gotten an award over at my blog :)

http://inwhichagirl.blogspot.com/2009/11/100-followers-awards-and-happy.html