Thursday, November 5, 2009

What my Girlfriend Doesnt Know

Cover Image
Title: What my Girlfriend Doesn’t Know
Author: Sonya Sones
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Price: $7.99 USD PB
Release: December 16th 2008

Grade: B
Rating: 13+
Summary: (Amazon.com)
Robin's life at Cambridge High School is miserable. The arty outsider's last name becomes the pejorative slang of the school—as in, "Don't be such a Murphy." His lot improves, however, when popular Sophie becomes his girlfriend despite the detriment to her reputation. Better still, the freshman is invited to audit an art class at Harvard. It is his homecoming; for once, he is the comedian rather than the butt of jokes. One of the college freshmen even shows some romantic interest in him.

My Thoughts:
I will admit that I liked this book even though the characters are younger teens (something I’m not always fond of). There was an aspect of sexuality that was undeniable but it was where you least expected it.

After reading many books in verse I have begun to know what is good and what isn’t. This was above average but not fantastic as I expect from Sonya. There was just something missing that I couldn’t wrap my mind around. I felt that it took away from the plot.

I would say this is a worth while read for fans of books in verse.

FTC: This is my little sisters purchased book. I did not receive it from a publisher or author.

1 comment:

Sadako said...

Sounds cool--I'll definitely try to check it out soon. The weird thing is with the girl staring at us it makes me think it's more of a book about girls/for girls, than guys. Even though the main character is male...