Saturday, August 8, 2009

Shiver Guest Review

This is a guest review from my friend Sarah at http://booksaremybff.blogspot.com/

Shiver
Maggie Stiefvater
Scholastic
$17.99 U.S.(Hardcover)
Synopsis by Barnes and Noble:
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.
My thoguhts:
The beginning was a bit for slow for me, but that did not last long. Once I started getting into the book it was hard for me to put it down. I loved the characters in this book. Sam and Grace both became extremely real to me. Stiefvater has a way with words, and that was apparent in the book. I was able to vivdly see what was going on in each scene,, even down to the emotions of the characters. I find my self constantly replaying scenes from the book in my head, and this is after I have finished it. I loved the scenery in the book. It was easy to feel like you were there with the characters. The setting was perfect and also beautiful. I think the plot flowed well, and the ending was so perfect I felt pure relief when the book ended! This was an amazing book, and I am so glad I got to read it early!
Recommendation:
This book is a winter read. It is one to curl up in front of a fire under a blnket with a cup of cocoa. The book warms you.
Grade: A
Age: 15 and up. The book is wirtten for an older group and has some very serious elements

No comments: