Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Stealing Heaven

Cover Image
Title: Stealing Heaven
Author: Elizabeth Scott
Release: 2008
Publisher: Harperteen
Price: $16.99 USD HB

Grade: A
Rating: 13+
Synopsis from Amazon
Danielle, 18, has been a thief all her life. Moving from town to town, she and her mom stay around only long enough to canvas the rich and steal their silver. When she was 15, they moved on at Danielle's request, after she had sex for "the first and only time" with her mother's 20-year-old boyfriend. It's a lifestyle the teen is used to, but she's beginning to long for something more. She wants roots, friends, and a place to call home. When they hit the small resort town of Heaven, Danielle knows the routine. Her mom will chat up the men for information and she, now using the name Sydney, is supposed to do the same with her peers. Only something goes wrong, and "Sydney" begins to make friends with the mark, flirt with a local cop, and generally do everything her mom's always told her to avoid. And when it's time for the heist, Danielle is no longer sure she can follow her mom's demands. This story is deceptively touching. Danielle and her mother are both fully developed, as are the secondary characters of Allison (the friend) and Greg (the young cop). The overriding theme of living up to a parent's expectations instead of following your own path is universal, but the twist of a family of thieves gives the story originality.


My Thoughts:
On my latest trip to the library I was excited to find that they had this novel. It had been on my wishlist for a long time and I was ready to read it. This book combined so many aspects and I felt a real connection to the main character Dani. Even though I have never personally experienced theft or having my mom battle cancer Elizabeth wrote in a way that I was able to find connections. The relationship between Dani and Greg was adorable and there were a couple times when I gave out loud “Aw’s”. I’m very happy I read this book and I will be purchasing my own copy.

Recommendation:
I think all teen girls should read this. There will be at least one aspect for everyone to connect with.

3 comments:

Bostan said...

Cool, i will check it out at my library. Thank you for the review

~The Book Pixie said...

I've been wanting to read this one. I'm very glad that you enjoyed it. I can't wait to read it for myself. Thanks for the review. :)

~Briana

Rebecca said...

Hi, I've given you a blog award here: http://everythingtodowithbooks.blogspot.com/2009/08/blog-awards.html